Our Project Approach
Having over 53 years of institutional & health care experience, John S McManus Inc. understands what it takes to manage and complete a successful project. For three generations, our approach has remained the same: to work hand-in-hand with our clients’ commissioned architects and their design team. We know how important it is to maintain open lines of communication between all parties throughout the course of a project. Our seasoned team has worked together through decades of projects – many or our superintendents have been with McManus for over 20 years. Our highly skilled workforce consists of union-trained superintendents, carpenters and laborers that work closely with our office staff, overseeing and executing projects on a daily basis, to ensure that each one is completed successfully, on or under budget and within the projected time frame.
How You Benefit
- Direct Access. Ease of accessibility to key McManus principals’ results in timely, informed decisions and immediate action.
- In-House. Many companies act like brokers by subcontracting out every aspect of the building process. At McManus we have our own on-site superintendents that coordinate all on-site layouts, demolition, rough-in and finish work with our office and the rest of our client’s design team. McManus also employs our own carpenters for all layout, casework installation, door installation and miscellaneous carpentry work.
- Clean & Safe. First and foremost, safety comes first. Part of that process is maintaining a clean job site. This promotes job site efficiency as well as safety. Our laborers are trained and dedicated to keeping the job site clean and safe.
- On Target. We understand that you have high expectations for your construction project and we promise to always meet or exceed your expectations.
- On Time & Under Budget. Clear communication and our close working relationships with our subcontractors and design team allow us to deliver your project on time and on or under budget.
- Team Approach. McManus believes that every successful project depends on the concerted team efforts of the owner, the design professionals, the general contractor and its subcontractors. McManus has followed this approach of working hand-in-hand for nearly five decades with great success.
- In the Details. It is our firm belief that the key to a good project is based on organization, communication and documentation. The McManus project team uses the Procore construction program to keep detailed logs on all submittals, RFI’s and any change order requests. We also encourage the use of conference calls and site meetings with key team members so that problems are remedied quickly and efficiently.
Meet Our Team
With nearly 50 years of experience as the company’s chief estimator, John provides estimating services focused on each client’s conceptual and detailed needs. As McManus’ president and CEO for over 24 years, John’s steady leadership has facilitated McManus’ growth from a $3 million contractor into a $30+ million family-owned and run business. His knowledge and accomplishments have propelled the company to the forefront of the construction industry, particularly in the health care and educational sectors. Some of John’s most memorable projects include: Saint Joseph’s University-Post Learning Commons, Riddle Memorial Hospital-Rothman Institute & Parking Garage, and the Mummer’s Museum. He holds a B.S. in Marketing/Management from Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, PA. John believes that directly addressing each client’s issues or concerns without any bureaucratic obstacles is the only way to run a business.
As the company’s senior project manager for over 34 years, Michael has successfully completed over $223 million of construction in the health care, educational, and institutional sectors. He fulfilled his Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) training before it became the “green building” standard within the architectural and construction industries. Michael’s LEED certification helped McManus secure the $15 million Mercy Suburban Emergency Department Expansion, one of the first Gold-Certified LEED hospital projects on the East Coast. Michael earned his B.S. in Marketing/Management from Saint Joseph’s University. He is also a Certified Project Manager through Villanova University’s Project Management program. Michael is convinced that John S. McManus Inc.’s smaller size allows him to nimbly evaluate client issues and resolve them promptly, regardless of project scope.
With over 23 years of project management experience, Sean deftly handles McManus’ detailed project requirements with well-rounded knowledge in all phases of construction, from conceptual estimating to commissioning. Sean has a track record of success in nearly every construction sector, from new structure and site development, such as Tinicum Township Fire Company and Lazaretto Ballroom, to equipment replacement projects in health care facilities. Sean has a B.S. in Business Administration/Marketing from Saint Joseph’s University. Some of his industry-specific training includes the Construction Management Technology program at Delaware County Community College, Construction Management coursework through the General Building Contractors Association, and Suretrak Project Manager Certification. Sean views each project as a pathway to an honest, long-term relationship with each client.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, he was part of the railroads and canals that helped open the industrial age in America. At age 19, he began his career as a pioneer contractor in the railroad business. Among his greatest achievements was the Philadelphia terminal system of tracks at the Broad Street Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad. He pledged himself to the highest ideas and his construction company was based on commitment to honesty, integrity and excellence.
Inherited from his father a wealth of good will and fine reputation. After graduating from College in the early 20th century, Leo worked with Patricius in the construction business. Leo’s construction business began to flourish after beginning in road and site work. As growth continued they constructed many institutional buildings and churches.
John Staley McManus
Direct founder of John S. McManus Inc. In 1944 John graduated from Villanova with a Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering. After graduating John served in WWII as assistant to the Commander of Naval Construction. After the war John partnered with his family in McManus Realty 1950’s, Foley-McManus Construction in the 1960’s. John began working on his own as a contractor. John S. McManus Inc. received official incorporation in 1967. John remained as President until retirement in 1992.